Optional Items to Compliment Your Cabin :
Glazing is offered in three options.
Your choice should be made by considering the building use, for example will it be used 12months of the year.
All year round points more towards Superior and Premium, a summer house really only needs to use the Standard fit. Your location will also have a bearing on which to choose - How cold does it get where you live. Scotland has far more cold days than the South East of England, for example. And budget will play a part. The better options do cost more !
In each option, the glass panes are 4mm thick and the double glazing filled with Argon Gas. What varies across the options is the divide width between panes of glass. This ranges from 6mm up to 20mm. In simple terms, the greater the cavity the more efficient and insulating the double glazing becomes.
Door and window furniture also improves with the options
- Standard : 4-6-4
- Superior : 4-10-4
- Premium : 4-20-4
Standard glazing has side hung windows that open outward.
Superior and Premium windows utilise a tilt and turn hinge mechanism that allows the window to either hinge at the bottom, or on the side. In both cases, the window opens inwards.
Note : The double window units have a tilt and turn mechanism one one leaf and the other leaf is side hung only.
Roof Covering Options
Our cabin kits all come without any roofing material to weather proof the structure. We offer both felt shingles and EPDM as options, but you are most welcome to find alternatives locally to you.
Selecting this option will provision enough felt shingles to cover the roof with some to spare if laid correctly
Felt shingles are available in four colours - Green / Grey / Red / Black.
Standard packs are 1000mm x 330mm and each pack contains 21 pieces.
Ridge and starter row tiles are 1000mm x 250mm and each pack contains 20 pieces covering up to 20 linear metres to line the roof edge or 12 linear metres of overlapped ridge. Note : Not all colours are available as Ridge and Starter tiles, in which case enough standard shingles will be supplied to use for this purpose.
Felt shingles require a minimum 11 degree roof pitch. It is advised to use an underlay for all pitches between 8 and 11 degrees. It is not advised to use felt shingles on a ptich less than 8 degrees.
- Base - glass-fibre felt
- Improved bitumen modified with SBS polymers
- Basalt sprinkle
- Adhesive, frost-resistant polymeric bitumen bulk
You can see how to fit them on our page, fitting bitumen felt shingles
The EPDM Kit provisions all you need to apply EPDM to your roof including a one piece rubber sheet and glues.
Benefits of EPDM for rubber roofing
- Totally inert and UV stable
- Will not crack or perish
- Environmentally friendly
- Cold applied
- Can be used on a flat roof
- Virtually maintenance free
20 Year Guarantee - Life Expectancy of 50 Years
- Firestone E.P.D.M is a high performing synthetic rubber membrane offering a unique combination of features and benefits.
- Quick and Easy Installation - Available in large sheet sizes anything up to 12.5m x 30m, resulting in fewer field seams and less installation time.
- Superior Weatherability and Durability - Due to its composition, essentially EPDM polymers and carbon black, Firestone EPDM offers unmatched resistance to ozone, UV radiation, and ultimately ageing. Life expectancy of 50+ years !
- High Flexibility and Elongation - Firestone EPDM remains flexible at temperatures down to -45 degrees and can elongate over 300% to accommodate building movements and temperature fluctuations.
- Low Life-cycle Cost - Firestone EPDM requires little or no maintenance. This feature combined with the inherent durability and competitive installed cost of EPDM roofing systems, result in a very low life-cycle cost.
- Environmentally Friendly - Firestone EPDM is an inert material with limited environmental impact during manufacture and use of the product.
We offer a toughened glass upgrade to the standard glazing.
This option upgrades all glazing in both doors and windows
Composite Bearer Upgrade
Your cabin is constructed on a bearer framework. The bearer framework keeps it off the ground and away from moisture that could get into the timber and cause problems over time.
Composite bearers replace the standard wooden items supplied with the kit.
The main benefit of using a composite bearer is that they are highly resistant to moisture, rot, and insects. This means they are less likely to warp, twist, or decay over time and helps to ensure the longevity and durability of the bearer framework.
Composite bearers are also easy to work with and install. They can be cut and shaped using standard woodworking tools and they can be secured to the underlying substructure using screws or nails.
Dimensions - 3.0m x 40mm x 40mm
IMPORTANT - If you choose this upgrade, you will be supplied with sufficient lengths of joist (all 3.0m in length) to create the necessary framework - it will require you to cut the bearers to form the correct dimensions for the framework.
Factory Painted Doors and Windows
This upgrade has the external door(s) and window(s) painted at the factory.
The standard frames for Silverline, Superior and Premium doors and windows are all supplied in untreated timber.
Using this upgrade has the doors and windows painted at the factory in one of three colourways :
Each window or door unit has two coats of quality paint, sprayed onto all surfaces and allowed to cure before quality checked, packed and made ready for despatch.(Additional coats are applied should this be necessary)
Available in three colourways - check the RAL website for more information.
- Painted surfaces have a 2 year warranty on the paint and application thereof.
- The timber construction of the frames carry a 5 year warranty.
Your cabin will arrive in an untreated state. Only the base bearers are pretreated. All external surfaces must be treated with an appropriate wood preserver to ensure longevity of your cabin (and to validate warranty)
Here, we are offering the Barrettine Wood Preserver, a solvent based application that we believe to be one of the better products currently available. You may wish to go into the open market place to source your own, just bear in mind with these products "you get what you pay for" ! Spend a lot less and you'll be needing to re-apply the treatment every year. Go to the other end of the scale and some products quote a 10 year life span before the ned to re-apply. "You pays ya money and takes ya choice" !
We have calculated that this cabin requires 10ltrs to apply 3 coats to the external surfaces.
Features and Highlights
- A high performance, solvent-based exterior wood preservative
- Perfect for use on sheds, fences, decking, summer houses and other garden wood
- Protects timber against wood boring insects, wood rotting fungi and blue stain
- Deep penetrating formula for long lasting protection
- Contains wax and water repellent resins
- Low odour
Barrettine Premier Wood Preserver is ideal for most exterior wood care projects, including sheds, fences, exterior windows and frames, doors, carports, shutters, garden gates and more. This product can be used as a standalone treatment or as a base-coat for a protective exterior wood oil or decking oil.